Thursday, October 14, 2004

I waste too much time on absolutely unproductive delightful things. Like meeting buddies at the local Starbucks. Not for a moment should someone imagine that I go there for the coffee. In fact, except for times when I desperately need a caffeine shot (before meetings with the advisor), I steer clear of the vile stuff whenever possible. I would have probably resigned myself to Starbucks, and imagined that it is alright to live with such mediocrity, but then, I went to Italy. And the Italians completely ruined Starbucks for me. The espressos there were so incredible and so consistently good. I brought back a bag of beans for Em (which a wonderful bartender gave as a gift), and when they were all consumed, we were miserable. A coffee hunt was launched, but alas, the brand of coffee was nowhere to be found outside of Rome. So back to mediocrity. But these days, when I go to Starbucks, I usually settle for ice tea. Which is still painful, because at home I only drink Darjeeling.

Anyway, this was not supposed to be about tea and coffee, but I digressed. So this evening I spent a delightful hour drinking a yogurt smoothie (still no coffee ha ha) and joining Suzy in her admiration of the men at our University campus. Suzy was firm that the best looking men should be banned from getting married and should be available for payment to all women. I think I agree, although I think the payment business should be optional (as a woman I'm used to the idea of not paying for male company). Met a friend's husband on the way and we discussed the possibilities of screening Final Solution at our campus. I think we'll have to settle for driving to the Irvine screening, and it would be interesting to meet up with Rakesh.

Yesterday Em and I went for dinner to Sabina's. It was one of those dinners where Em and I held forth grand truths about Life and gossipped about the love life of our friends. All over delicious Romanian food. Besides Starbucks, dinner and conversation with Em is also one of my life's endearing anchoring ritual. Just like driving with S without the music on, or Bec and I working out in the gym together. It used to be Simpsons at 6, but that's become less and less common. Too much to do. We are getting busier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home