Monday, October 25, 2004

Work, arbeit, kaam........

A lot of it, all fragmented into different tasks. As soon as I stop concentrating on one job, another pops into my attention screen. And of course, in the midst of all this, my thesis doesn't figure anywhere. I console myself with the thought that it all adds up to a dissertation in the end. Hey, if it can work for others, sure it can work for me! But there is always satisfaction in a task completed, a job well done, the promise of exciting research (how nerdy does this sound, jeez!). And the potential for travel, which is a great motivator for me. I once told a friend that what I love about being a doctoral student is what that situation does for me, throw me in the company of some very intelligent and cool people, give me a work environment that is motivating and rather laid back at the same time, and provides enough dough to travel to conferences and projects in interesting places.

In the past four years, I've used the excuse of conferences to travel to Greece, Romania, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy and Spain. I hope to use the excuse of work to travel to various parts of South-east Asia. When I compare my current state of mind with what my thoughts and beliefs were about 4 years ago, I can discern the beneficial effects of displacement. Change can be traumatic for some, but it can be enlightening for others, and I certainly am happy that I was able to finally break out of a self-imposed shell to fly out and see the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home