Sunday, January 30, 2005

Information blackhole and blogging from India

Gosh, it's been such a long time since I posted. Been busy, or at least pretending to be. In all my 4+ years of doctoral studies, I've yet to do any original research. Most of my work is that of the eager beaver who fetches scraps from what appears to be an information blackhole. I mean there is just so much information and data generated about any given subject and yet, it is so hard to retrieve and coherently put together all of it to build your own arguments. Hopefully, the next few months would have me collecting my own data and though I'm terrified of doing primary research (as opposed to crunching numbers), I'll get over it. Besides, I'll get to spend time at the ports and I just love the energy and heaving mass of that landscape. Of course I love the ocean too.

On the personal front, it's been the same as ever. S is still looking for a job, which he would have found a long time ago if he had looked harder. But then, S lives his own rythm and as I speak is taking a boat out to the ocean for a glorious day of sailing. I could have been there, but chose not too. Someone has to be the no-fun in the relationship.

Been reading a lot of blogs lately, mostly written by Indians based in India (or students in the US or UK like me). Usually I read blogs on Indonesia and the rest of Asia by expats and that's fun when well written. The Indian blogs were quite interesting. Most are written by very smart folks who have a way with words. They are also quite prolific and are voracious readers/music fans/film buffs/couch potatoes. Almost all of them clearly write for a readership (so it's not really a monologue, but then which blog is?). I do get the sneakly feeling that there is a desire to dazzle, not just write and contemplate. There is a lot of wordplay, obscure references, convoluted witticisms, something that most of the Indonesian expat blogs don't seem to do (though the ones writing them are also really intelligent). The most annoying characteristic though? The VS Naipaul obsession. Jeez, why? There's life beyond Naipaul, and by all accounts at this point he's pretty much a has-been author. And yet, everything that he says about India is dissected and analyzed as if our lives depended on it.

Also, a lot of these blogs are written by Bongs which explains the cleverer than though posturing. So that's my 2 cents of the day, and now I'm off in search of some grub. Which is not an easy endeavour given that I feel like eating Thai and Em wouldn't touch the stuff. And S is not here to bias the vote in my favour. We might end up with Mexican which is a happy compromise everytime I think salsa. Mmmmmmm.....salsa and chips (make appropriate Homer Simpson noise).

6 Comments:

Blogger the still dancer said...

Hello,
Thanks for dropping in. Reading through this post of yours was really interesting because it tickled my "thought buds." Tell you what, that polite " it looks really interesting" comment had a poor, un-perused blogger like moi in raptures, but after reading this, I'm thinking, hmmmm... so am I also included in this band of bong boffins... :).
Some interesting observations, though. I'd say that all writing is intended for an audince after all, even the true monologues. It is a bit paradoxical I guess. For we say that the true poet writes not for anyone else, but for his own sake, for the sake of his own truth. But if that were indeed true, there would be no need to write, for it is all within. Yet, the very act of writing is in itself an act of transcendence. But enough on that. Now, since the audience is integral to the writing process, I guess a certain desire to dazzle is also excusable, but not when the sole purpose of the writing is to find the applause of others, without any attachment to the writing itself. At least, that's my take on it. I do find your assertion that bong equals, ipso facto, pretentiousness; quite intriguing, by the way.
As for the links etc. the skin I use did not have any inbuilt code for links etc. either. but you can go to your template and play around with the html- just use the code for your previous posts, archives, etc. and change the titles to links et all. under each section you can paste the appropriate hyperlinks.
take care,
Kaash

8:17 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Hi Kaash,
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Surely a little dig or two once in a while at bongs is fine, especially when it constitutes self-awareness :)! I do understand that no writing is truly a monologue and there are many different ways to work with language. And I do appreciate the energy and intelligence that goes into making these blogs. However, it did appear to me that many of the blogs I was looking at (and believe me, yours wasn't one of them) were slightly more narcissistic than many others I've come across. This maybe a characteristic of the individuals, all of them are either academics or have literary ambitions (there, I've described half the bong universe, haven't I!). And that's what makes them interesting, for nowhere did I feel reading the blogs was tedium, otherwise I would have stopped and started reading MSN Hollywood gossip instead.

9:41 AM  
Blogger vuong said...

カイロ 資格
当日便
川西市賃貸
楽器レンタル
教員採用試験
浦和 不動産
埼玉県 不動産
タグホイヤー 修理
供花
レディースシューズ
東京 皮膚科
投資顧問 助言
ニューヨーク航空券
先物 チャート
ガーデンファニチャー
福祉用具専門相談員
川口市 一戸建て
ロレックス 時計修理
有料老人ホーム 紹介
中目黒 賃貸マンション
バイク保管
貸し倉庫
パーティー会場
M&A
異業種交流パーティー
Bloom
東大和 不動産
不動産 八王子
チラシ制作
パイプつまり
シミ取り
男性離婚
投資 助言
中国旅行
サイディング
ロレックス オーバーホール
mou

6:12 PM  
Blogger vuong said...

カイロ 資格
当日便
川西市賃貸
楽器レンタル
教員採用試験
浦和 不動産
埼玉県 不動産
タグホイヤー 修理
供花
レディースシューズ
東京 皮膚科
投資顧問 助言
ニューヨーク航空券
先物 チャート
ガーデンファニチャー
福祉用具専門相談員
川口市 一戸建て
ロレックス 時計修理
有料老人ホーム 紹介
中目黒 賃貸マンション
バイク保管
貸し倉庫
パーティー会場
M&A
異業種交流パーティー
Bloom
東大和 不動産
不動産 八王子
チラシ制作
パイプつまり
シミ取り
男性離婚
投資 助言
中国旅行
サイディング
ロレックス オーバーホール

6:16 PM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous site said...

Thanks so much for this post, pretty helpful data.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home