Monday, February 14, 2005

I'll squeeze in one little post before I get down to studying like the goody-two-shoes I am (ha!). Yesterday I met up with Urmi whom I had gotten in touch with through the indolent exercise of blog hopping. So see, some good things do come out of lotus eating. Now for the initial parochial drumbeat. Urmi and I are both Bengali, are or have been grad students in the US and currently live in LA. I think and hope we both love to eat, after all we did decide to meet for lunch. Due to Urmi's good parking and restaurant waiting line karma, we got a table in a very nice dimsum place (more like emporium) despite it being Chinese new year weekend.

Now trying to hail a dimsum cart and get what you want without a working knowledge of Chinese seems almost like swimming with hands tied behind the back, but I think we managed fairly well. We did get the shrimp dumplings that I had sort of craved since Empress pavilion almost three years ago. I never seemed to have enough people around me who cared for dimsum (and some of my friends detest them) and I think I had this absurd notion that there should be a minimum number of persons in your party to be admitted to a dimsum restaurant. And then there is also the issue of never being able to lure S away from Pho 79 if we are in Chinatown. So thanks Urmi, and we really need to do this again :). And to all my Vietnamese friends, Chuc Mung Nam Moi and to the Chinese, Gong Xi for the year of the rooster.

This past week has been celebration week. There was the Asian Lunar New Year, and the Islamic New Year a few days before. And then, there was the Javanese New Year, and Saraswati Puja for the Bengalis. And now we have Valentine's Day. One more compelling argument for turning cosmopolitan. You get to celebrate more.

2 Comments:

Blogger Urmea said...

You are very welcome and thank you too! And yes, most definitely!!

2:47 PM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home