Monday, March 28, 2005

Greek fun, Persian fun and then some non-Orthodox Easter fun

To begin, here's the result of my Imdb-ing Ingrid Bergman. The film was "Notorious", not "Spellbound", another early Hitchcock film, certainly not one of his classics. My nagging suspicion was true after all, "Spellbound" had Gregory Peck, not Cary Grant.

On to blogworthiness, which we had plenty on a great Friday evening and night. It's already been written about by someone whom we were so happy to have with us on Friday for the first event, and missed in the subsequent one. The first was a reception at the home of the Consul-General of Greece in Los Angeles to celebrate 25th March, the Greek Independence Day. The home of the Consul-General is gorgeous, right next to the Santa Monica Mountains in Beverly Hills. The view from the terrace is fantastic, a very green valley that lies below the snaking Benedict Canyon Drive as it disappears into a tunnel. Last year the Consul's speech was interrupted by helicopters flying over the house, probably used for a film shooting. This year, there was serenity, only interrupted by the chatter of guests, people swiveling their wines, and chomping on mezedes. We met lots of old acquaintances and many new interesting faces as well.

S and I got introduced to the Greek gymnast, and I had an opportunity to talk with Soto's brother, P. He's a really interesting guy, quite the casanova always out to charm his next conquest. He's very handsome and very charismatic, and I'm afraid I gave him the wrong ideas when I tried to be sweet and paid a compliment to him saying he was one of the handsomest men I've ever seen. Which is very true, but S said that I probably came across as a potential target of interest for P, which I certainly wasn't thinking of. Maybe I blabbered a bit too indiscreetly, and I have to blame the three glasses of heady Assyrtiko wine from Santorini, which I've since found has a pretty high alcohol content, so there you go. Even though I had absolutely no interest in seducing P, I was interested in his work, and since he was a garment exporter, he seemed like an excellent resource for my research. Also, he mentioned something about opening a Greek restaurant, and I got so excited about that! This has been a bit of a cherished secret dream of mine, to be associated with a restaurant, and I so so wish P would let me get involved in the planning.

S and I moved on to the Persian New Year celebrations on my campus, and Soto was to join us later. The celebrations were organized this year by my roomie and homie Nel, who did a swell job. She and her co-chairs on the student organization board worked non-stop to ensure the biggest and best party in a long time for the Iranian student body. The food was served at 8:00, however when we reached there half an hour later, it was all gone. The food's usually the star of the show a very lavish spread, sourced from a great Iranian restaurant in Anaheim, Hatam. There were about 400 guests, a huge dance floor, a great DJ who works as an engineer by the day and moonlights as DJ by night and a lot of joy and bonhomie. We met lots of old friends, and had much fun trying to figure out how many hook ups were taking place on the dance floor. New haircuts were dissected, clothing choices ripped apart (the sad end to the evening were my own pants ripping apart when I reached home oooooooh, close call!), and snotty girls given the glare-down. Yes, snotty girls are the same everywhere, giving guys the cold shoulder, and then dancing with each other and glancing around in the hope that someone would notice.

As if all this fun was not enough to permanently ruin your academic and professional life, we had an Easter dinner (which my darling refers to as non-Greek Orthodox Easter to bug my friends) on Friday at my neighbour and friend Beck's house. Now Beck is moving to San Diego to join her boyfriend and start a new job in May, so this was probably one of the last few dinner parties we would have as neighbours here. Which is sad, because we've been together for the last 5 years, and she's such an integral part of all my LA experiences. The dinner would have been super fun if it only included us old friends, Beck, G & C (never referred to separately), Em, me and S (well technically not S, but since yesterday was also the third year anniversary of our meeting, I think he qualifies as old friend by now). But we were joined by a rather unpleasant, aggressive and needlessly cynical neighbour of ours, who shall be referred to as Canuck, in one stroke defining her moniker and origin. Our lady has led a problematic life and has trouble making friends, for which she has all my sympathies. But she's somehow managed to ingratiate herself to Beck and G & C, and now in her company they morph into her clones ever so slightly. Ever noticed how contagious bad behaviour is? Em and I can't stand her, and Em managed to conveniently excuse himself from time to time to go make coffee, take a phonecall, etc. I was the picture of discipline as I sat through really inane conversation, even when my neighbour's boyfriend tried to make a lame joke about how he wasn't able to figure out what the hell some Indian guy was trying to say when he invited the boyfriend for a "Holi fest". And how silly a bunch of Indian guys looked all covered up with colours crossing the street in San Diego.

Now what's the irony of the story? The boyfriend's Indian!! Not American-raised or Native American, but exported from Bangalore Indian. Granted Holi isn't big in Southern India, but jeez, is it so hard to figure out that those folks were referring to Holi the Indian festival and not inviting him for "holy" Easter? Don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful boy, incredibly polite and nice, but somehow he's internalized the message that to be with his girlfriend he has to be as much like her as possible. Which means American in a certain way. Now if he was raised in South Asia completely insulated from the space around him as some Indians and Pakistanis I know are, then I would not be bothered about his comments. But I know that there is an aspect of his character and upbringing that he suppresses to be with his girlfriend. Which makes it slightly sad, but then ultimately, it's really his choice to be this way.

5 Comments:

Blogger AM said...

Are you studying to be a chef? Your blogroll and your posts definitely sound that way.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Asheesh said...

hahahah I guess the Bangalore guy is probably afraid to loase the only girl he has been able to lay till now

4:35 PM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

11:30 PM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

過払い返還について
過払い請求まとめ
液晶テレビの選び方
メンズファッション
結婚式:ウエディングドレス

過払い返還:弁護士:相談
結婚:プロフィールビデオ
結婚:キリスト教式
結婚:神前式
結婚:人前式
結婚について
楽しくペットと遊ぶ
ペットと遊べるおもちゃ
ペットと楽しむ
ペットのカメラ撮影
ペットと旅行
ゲーム
ペットグッズ
新宿御苑のランチ
過払い返還:債務整理

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home