Friday, May 27, 2005

MIA-and there's certainly been lots of it

It's been a while since I posted, and that's because today's the first day after weeks that I have access to a decent internet connection. So to take stock of what's happened in the meanwhile:

The folks incharge of housing for my university are some pretty evil overlords. Every summer, they manage to evict us out of our apartments on some excuse or the other, setting in motion the painful process of stuffing all our earthly posessions into boxes and moving the goddamn monsters in and out of temporary dwellings. This year, I moved in bag and baggage into S' tiny little studio apartment, and the place is not pretty. There are boxes everywhere, we manage to stumble everytime we move, and it's almost like we're living in some warehouse hideouts. Hopefully things would be better when we manage to move most of the boxes into some temporary storage we managed to score.

Finally, if all goes well S might be joining the System soon, becoming another cog in the machine, another brick in the wall. I keep telling him that it's not as dire as that, but then he's become used to an extended vacation over the last year and a half, and it's hard to brace yourself up for a 9to5 routine for the months to come.

It's been a wonderful 5 years, but I don't know how long I can keep the good times rolling on. Some day, I have to wear the clown suit, get my degree and get the hell out. The pressure's been building up from all quarters including parents ("so when are you submitting?" submitting!!! whoa whoa hold on Mum!), advisor ("you really should think of graduating by next summer") and even friends ("heck, if you don't graduate, what hope is there for me?"). Which means, a lot more time devoted to devouring research and regurgitating it in thesis form. Less time for lotus-eating.

But I've also resolved that there are a few extra-curricular things that should carry on regularly regardless, including visits to the gym and my blog. And some bedtime reading. Which has really been looking up in the past two weeks, in which I finished reading Early India by Romilla Thapar and the two Persepolis volumes by Marjane Satrapi. Both are highly recommended. I had heard many stories about the early years of the Islamic Revolution by Em, and to see them being brought to vivid graphic form by Satrapi was amazing. She is truly a master chronicler of the last two decades and a half of life under the Islamic Republic in Iran. A few of the pictures in the book are so stunning that they can be independently be considered works of art.

So that is indeed what occupies my life at present as I look forward to the joys of LA in summer. Great weather (not today though, we are getting early June gloom), concerts at the Hollywood Bowl, the Artwallah festival, hopefully some wine tasting in Santa Barbara a la Sideways, etc. etc.

2 Comments:

Blogger vuong said...

ビジネス英会話
英語 メール
英語塾
社会人入試
toeic対策
フリーエンジニア 年収
O脚矯正
骨盤矯正
破産
借金
東京 インプラント
インプラント 埼玉
軽井沢 別荘
ビデオ制作
フェイスリフト
教員採用試験
賃貸オフィス
パワーストーン
脂肪吸引
古着 買取
性転換手術
タイ 美容整形
卵子提供
性同一性障害
ボーカル オーディション
システム会社
ホームページ作成
観葉植物 通販
オンラインショップ構築
市場調査
韓国 翻訳
携帯ホームページ作成
SEO対策
MSM
ソーラー
3M
おめでた婚
ECサイト 構築
ハワイ 格安ツアー

7:59 AM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home