Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Party Time!!!

So now that S is part of the system, and another brick in the wall (his sentiments not mine, though I think he really likes his job), we had to make good on a promise to throw a party for friends. Which we proceeded to do, in fine style indeed, if I may say so. I think the one thing that distinguishes our parties from the ones thrown by other fellow students is the equal attention to booze and food. Most parties thrown by students I've attended pour their generosity in the booze, with a bowl of sorry looking tortilla chips and tasteless salsa as apologies for food. To their immense credit, the booze is usually great and plentiful, but you'd be wasted beyond measure if you skip dinner before attending one of these soirees.

For us, the food takes centrestage, supplemented with soft drinks and beer. And our great friends end up bringing tons of booze anyway. In fact in the party last Saturday, we had lots of leftover beer, all brought in by the guests. S and I have a tiny studio, so a party at this cluttered place is out of the question. So we got lucky that this wonderful friend of S' offered his apartment for the party. It was a lovely place, very minimalistic, with plenty of space to move about. As always, S and I were almost 30 minutes late in reaching the venue of our own party (no, this is not Indian Stretchable Time, my punctuality is almost German, blame it on Greek time!). And we arrived to find two guests waiting for us! But once there we managed to get our act together pretty fast, and the guests started pouring in in about an hour's time. We had about 40 guests in the whole evening, but of course the turnover was constant, so there weren't more than 25 at any given point of time. There was music, and many started dancing, including the Greek guests doing some folk dances which were great fun with everyone joining in.

Around 1:30 a.m., the police came knocking. Apparently, someone had complained, and they wanted us to tone it down. But they had sly smiles on their faces, almost as if shaking their heads at the anal behaviour of the neighbours who wanted quiet time imposed on the Saturday night of a long weekend. In any case, the guests had started leaving, and only most of the Greeks, who arrive late and leave late stayed on. We were unwilling to break things up, and if it had been our own house, perhaps we would have let things continue till later (most of our previous parties would continue till 5 or 6 in the morning). But taking such liberties with a friend's apartment and his sleep was a bit too much, so we folded up around 2:30. Here are the highlights of the evening:

Potential hook-ups: 3

The first involved a student of S (he teaches Taekwondo in his spare time) and Soto. The girl is of Vietnamese-Chinese origin, but had grown up in Italy and now lives in the US (so I'm guessing she speaks at least four languages!). Even though Soto had met her before, there hadn't been much interest. However this time, he seemed to find her quite attractive, though he was a bit torn between her and a Russian girl at the party. However, the Russian girl was chased all evening by a very drunk (and possibly very horny) frat boy. He tried to keep convincing her to leave with him (almost ditching his surfer dude friend in the process), but she wasn't very keen and ended up leaving with her friends. And then there was the case of my old neighbour Deep chatting up another Vietnamese girl.

Surreal moment

The friend of horny frat boy was a surfer dude who was studying creative writing. Towards the end of the party, I had a chance to talk to him, and asked him what he would like to write about. He told me that he would like to write about surfing, but wasn't about the capture the experience fully in his writing. Suddenly, he stopped, looked intently at me and asked, "Do you know how long it would take if I take Venice all the way and walk to Figueroa". Holy smoke, that's about 8 miles!! You intend to walk all that way at 2:00 a.m! It was then that I looked clearly at him, and realised he was very very drunk, and his poetic imagination had taken hold of him. For the next ten minutes S and I had to drill it into him as to why walking 8 miles in the dead of the night is not the liberating experience he thought it would be.

All in all, it was great fun as always. Will post the pics once I develop and scan them.

3 Comments:

Blogger vuong said...

カイロ 学校
バイク便 東京
賃貸川西
ピアノレンタル
川口 一戸建て
越谷 不動産
志木 マンション
時計 修理
バラ
小さいサイズの靴
調停離婚
投資顧問 会社
中国航空券
先物取引
間仕切り
資格 ホームヘルパー
川口市 不動産
時計修理 ロレックス
介護施設 神奈川
中目黒 物件
バイクガレージ
レンタルボックス
ケータリング
債務整理 大和
お見合いパーティー
新宿区 一戸建て
青梅 不動産
小平 不動産
チラシ印刷激安
トイレ 水漏れ
恵比寿 賃貸マンション
カイロプラクティック学校
伊丹市賃貸
相続放棄
教員
上尾 不動産

6:11 PM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

11:58 PM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home