Monday, August 08, 2005

Nibbles on a Monday morning

Highlight of the week gone by: Seeing Tyra Banks eat dinner a few feet away from us at The Grove on Friday, in the company of unidentified single white male (who apparently drives a bling bling Mercedes, as snoopy Em informed later, after scouting the parking lot). I'm still trying to figure out which was the bigger surprise, the fact that we saw Tyra, or the fact that we saw her eating. Em thinks she looks better on screen, I think in person. And S and Soto had no clue who she was. Sheesh men, don't you hoard Victoria's Secret catalogues?

We also went to a salon on Saturday (S wanted a haircut and I wanted my eyebrows threaded), where I met a Chinese woman who spoke fluent Bangla. Turns out her family's been in Bangladesh for generations (and seen the transition of the country from India to East Pakistan to contemporary Bangladesh). She had emigrated to the US four years ago, and found herself still unable to adjust to life here. She was very nostalgic about Dhaka, and spoke of the wonderful human interaction that she missed sorely in the very detached suburban existence here. Strange where we put down roots! In the salon were two other Chinese, one spoke only Mandarin, and the other only Cantonese, and the Bangladeshi woman spoke only the Hakka dialect. They barely managed to communicate with each other through sign language and English.

And the momentous news is that advisor's back in town, which means all the weeks of procrastination have finally caught on with me. I need to work, and blogging has to take a bit of a break. I'll try and put in something once a week, which should be just fine I guess.

6 Comments:

Blogger Heh Heh said...

Aww, surely trivialities like a PhD are but minor inconveniences? :)

On a more serious note, I know the feeling. The advisor will be back in a couple of weeks and that shall be The End for me too, considering that I have elevated mere procrastination to a form of High Art.

12:32 PM  
Blogger AB said...

Can I ask something -- Who is the advisor?

12:39 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

@fingeek: Oh how I empathize! I pray for prolonged Europe junkets for my advisor all the time.

@AB: Monumental question. Basically, the advisor is the person who yanks you out of your lotus-eating existence to remind you that there is life beyond graduate school poverty (and traps you into servitude as a teaching or research assistant).

In mundane terms, he's the thesis guide, the chair of your dissertation committee, the one faculty member that you, as a PhD student, work most closely with.

2:59 AM  
Blogger SomeOl'Guy said...

hey there, came here via your comment on my blog. i shall be back, no doubt leaving inane comments on your blog, but meanwhile, enjoy the goat meatg. your comment has inspired some more procastination, i.e. a post about delhi place names, which is brewing as i type. keep coming back!

5:37 PM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

12:03 AM  
Anonymous spookyva said...

Really worthwhile data, much thanks for your article.

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home