Friday, September 09, 2005

My hands were tied, figuratively speaking

Prolonged (well, semi....no quasi-prolonged) absences must be explained, and here's the reason for my disappearance. My beloved keyboard had suffered years of abuse (I usually have computer dinners, which doesn't mean that I devour computers, just that I like to surf the net while I eat). The amount of grease I deposited on the poor thing while reaching out to type yet another Google search query (quick, what's the deal with the nosediving rupiah, and umm...so how many closetted actors are there in Bollywood anyway), would have been enough to keep my car engine running for months. So finally, last week, it started showing signs of civil disobedience. First the "a" won't work. And then, the "p". And then, slowly most of the letters of the alphabet gave way, and it looked like I was almost near proficient in Welsh. Ddefnyddiol, anyone? The hard truth was plain. The keyboard had to go. But given the pace at which I accomplish most things, it took a while for me to get a new one. In the meantime, I lurked around blogs, read all about everyone's adventures and opinions, but couldn't comment anywhere, given the state of the resources at my disposal. Em thinks that for folks like us, a keyboard is as essential as food and water. Hmm...hyperbole, but generally speaking, I do agree.

5 Comments:

Blogger Urmea said...

Welcome back! And what Em said is definitely not hyperbole, its just true!

1:36 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Hey, great to see you! How was the long weekend? Yes, us and our keyboards.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Vishnupriya said...

heyyyy!! great to see you back again. oh, and i always keep food far far away from my desktop. im too scared of what might happen if it conks, seeing how incredibly tech savvy i am.

2:06 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

@Vish: Great to see you posting with greater frequency as well, so all fears of blog abandonment can be dispelled (The Letterhead seems to have abandoned hers, which is sad). My boyfriend cannot understand why a klutz like me would trust myself with food around the computer keyboard.

11:41 AM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home