Monday, September 19, 2005

Roznama a la Moi

So in pursuance to what I said in the last post (I was serious about the post-it bit), here's a list of what went on last week:

Vic, S' friend flew in from Greece and left last Sunday. He brought me two packs of La Roche Posay Anthelios Cream that I had asked for (and an extra one as a gift from S' mom, she's such a darling!). This cream is fabulous, the best sunscreen that I could ask for. And since I have been converted to the cult of the sunscreen I cannot help repeating the gospel: Ladies and gentlemen, it doesn't matter if you are light-skinned or dark-skinned, melanin-blessed or melanin-deprived, reside in the Tropics or Siberia, you need a sunscreen. Best defense against sunburn and even more seriously, melanoma. So slather up, and stop feeling UV-invincible. You're more vulnerable than you think.

We went to the Greek festival at St. Sophia in Los Angeles, and ended up meeting practically all the Greek students at our university. And because my dear boyfriend operates on Greek time (conveniently forgetting that Greek-Americans don't), we reached the festival to find that they were all out of fried calamari (waaaaah!). But there were some yummy fries sprinkled liberally with feta (a Greek-American concoction if there ever was one), and great ouzo. I also realized that a great number of persons recognize me from past parties that we had attended together, and I had no idea what their names were. But the best part is that I met most of them at parties in the house of one person, so all I had to do was say, "Oh of course I remember, we met at Aki's party, right?" and I hit jackpot every time.

And finally, E-M's back in town, after spending a whole month in Cretan village where apparently the connection at the internet cafe was pretty slow. I'm amazed that the internet cafe existed at all. Though in defense of Greece I must say that unlike Germany, Italy, France and Belgium (see how I'm generalizing), internet cafes are cheap and plentiful and the only country I've been to that has a better coverage is believe it or not, Romania, at least in Bucharest. In Greece, tourism has ensured that even the tiniest island has an internet cafe at every corner, and Crete is a fairly big island. But digression aside, I'm glad E-M's back, happy and rested. Just remembered that I need to call her up.

10 Comments:

Anonymous AB said...

La Roche Posay Anthelios Cream - really I thought the moment I read it, 'must be some fancy creamy chocolate' (sheepish grin). Ok, what's calamari? My , what an exotic life you lead!

And was catching up on your last post. It reminded me of the time when my diary reached the hands of the principal of my school. Ok, I think this needs a separate post;) But I love going through my old diaries. You remember things long buried.

11:10 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

@AB: Hi! It does sound like it could belong to a creamy chocolate, right? The company is originallly German (but now bought over by L'Oreal) so the French name is puzzling.

Calamari is just the Greek and Italian name for squid. Since fried calamari was probably introduced to American restaurant menus by Italian-Americans, the name has stuck and you'd hear calamari more often than you'd hear squid.

Oh, I want to hear about the story with the diary and the school principal! Sounds more interesting than the time when my sketchbook full of nudes fell in the hands of my school classmates. The looks on their faces were priceless!

11:47 PM  
Anonymous AB said...

Sketchbook of nudes??? Wow can you post them on the blog:)) Pls do pls do

3:40 AM  
Blogger K said...

Strangely enough, you can get some very good calimari at Bombay and Goa, "Calimari Masala Fry" sounds a lot nicer than "Squid masala Fry".
Anyway, good to see a post after a long time.

5:07 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

@AB: My sketching abilities are pathetic, I have no talent. And I'm not being self-effacing, after viewing the works of Titian, Goya, Picasso et al., even the quirky charm of Toulouse-Lautrec, I just have to be objective about this.

The sketchbook was fun for horrifying some of my prudish classmates though. Besides, I lost it many years ago.

@K:Ooooh, "Calamari masala fry" does sound so yummy. Aachha, what is it with us Bongs and aversion to seafood. Why no calamari Bong style? Another set of names I love are melitzana (Greek), melanzane (Italian), and Badamjan (Persian) for brinjal. See, that sounds so much better than Begun or Baingan.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous AB said...

Oh so you are a bong. From Cal?

12:13 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

@AB: Bong yes, but not from Cal. Grew up in Delhi, and most of my family is from Barddhaman. Did you grow up in Cal?

12:14 PM  
Anonymous AB said...

Ya I am a true blue bong

11:13 PM  
Blogger qweaq said...

To a nail, lost a war.(wow gold) In a particular press to see(wow power leveling) such a foreign minyan: In order to (wow gold)receive a nail, we have lost a mati Tie In order to(wow power leveling) get a piece of mati Tie, we have lost a Pi Junma In order to get(wow gold) a Pijun ma, we (wow power leveling)have lost a(wow gold) jockey; To be a jockey, we lost a war victory. This is the first (Rolex)under general minyan at(World of Warcraft gold) first glance, but careful consideration, you(wow power leveling) will find that it contains a layer of the important essence of life: learn to give up, have a maturity. To a mati Tie and eventually lead to (wow gold)lose a war, this is not know how early to give up the consequences. Wise said: two disadvantages of the value comes light, the right to( World of Warcraft gold)choose the two-phase benefit. a folder to be the tail of the gecko already know how to give up the tail, the preservation of(wow power leveling) life, let alone we are full of (power leveling)the wisdom of mankind? ! in everyone's life, always (powerleveling)have in the face of choice, a choice, there is bound to give up, we have to learn is to( power leveling)pay a painful price, to give up local interests and preserve the overall interests. In chess, there are not "abandoning single-car" this trick? as the saying goes: not old, not new. sometimes, even (power leveling)the most precious things to know in good time to give up. when you( powerleveling)graduated from junior high school, in the face of a sincere friendship, you(powerleveling )will Yiyibushe. But think back, and only bid farewell to middle school, high school usher in a(rs gold )new life, can meet new friends. The recent shift is not on this? Finally, a celebrity's life motto In( gold wow)conclusion: Life is like theater, everyone is their own lives in the only director. Only Institute of choice, people will know how to give up the Chewu life, Xiaokan life, the life Habitat has Seasky.

2:53 AM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home