Monday, October 31, 2005

Courage Under Fire

It's only to be expected that some rather extreme views be aired in the immediate aftermath of the bombings in Delhi. However, it is important to remember that while terrorists must be brought to justice and organizations perpetuating and supporting terrorism dismantled, an entire community of Indian Muslims should not bear the burden of negative perceptions and accusations. In circumstances such as this, such articles, as the one that appeared in yesterday's The Hindustan Times, Delhi is very sobering.

The article is part of a report that discusses sentences handed out to Islamic militants who attacked the Red Fort in Delhi, killing two military personnel and one civilian. The judgment hinged on the crucial evidence provided by Mohammed Ahmed, an Indian Muslim who had to subsequently go into hiding, after selling his house, fearing for his life. The Delhi Police failed to provide him with the security and resources promised, thus leaving him vulnerable to retaliatory action by fundamentalist groups. However, when asked why he had agreed to be a witness in the case he says:

""People still ask us why I took all the trouble. My family members ask the same question. But the guilty should be punished. I have to die one day but I don't fear them. I am very happy with the judgement," Ahmed said."

("The witness who didn't give in to fear", Tushar Shrivastava, Hindustan Times, Nov.1, 2005)

(This is from the Hindustan Times e-paper that is subscription only and hence the article cannot be linked.)

3 Comments:

Blogger PS said...

Maybe it isn't so much of a big deal but I noticed it, so that's why. This time around, I don't know why but I felt that there was a world of difference in the way Id was reported in the Indian media, and I'm talking about the Indian news organisations per se. I mean, papers would always carry pictures of namaaz etc, but this time, TOI devoted one whole page to the holy month of ramzaan, how the Muslim community was enjoying the run-up to Id, there was a newspaper that said Id gift after India won an ODI against SL. Same goes for news channels who also prepared complete packages on the festival. Maybe it's a small thing, but I feel that such positive coverage goes a long way in integrating people and strengthening the Indian fabric...

4:21 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

PS, that's very reassuring. A little goes a long way.

12:29 AM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home