Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Earthquake in Kashmir and Relief Efforts

Here's moving on to more pressing issues. It's terrible to watch the images of devastation emerging from both sides of Kashmir as people attempt to come to terms with unimaginable grief. And all this so soon after the deadly tsunami, it's just such an overwhelming challenge for South Asia. I've become very skeptical of a lot of relief agencies lately, but I still retain considerable trust in Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders), and am very proud of the fact that my friend Alex joined the organization recently. MSF is organizing relief efforts in the region, it makes sense to donate to them. Otherwise, if anyone knows the names of any Kashmiri NGOs, please do let me know.

My thoughts are with the Kashmiris, and let's hope that relief arrives promptly to help them rebuild their lives.

6 Comments:

Blogger PS said...

Yes, I'm a cynic but what's also true is that a lot of NGOs are the biggest sham operating on this planet. Also, it's the best possible way of getting tax-relief from the govt, while also legitimately evading tax (ya, they do both...) If you have to get an idea of how 'needt' they are, just attend their press conference, believe me, it's an eye-opener....
Sorry, but I just had to say this.

5:30 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

PS, I completely agree with you. I was a wide eyed optimist when I decided to enrol for a Masters in Social Work, but by the time I was done with the programme, I was so jaded with the shady dealings of these so-called NGOs that I decided not to work for the voluntary sector.

Thankfully I found employment with a research organization where my colleagues were extremely sophisticated, ethical, and intellectual astute. They did have some one development project, but it was very legitimate and effective.

So yes, I do have the lowdown of the Delhi NGOs schmooze set. Having said that, let me say that I've only heard very good things about Doctors Without Borders, and unlike the allegedly corrupt American Red Cross and the bureaucratic UNDP, I don't hesitate donating to them.

8:51 AM  
Blogger PS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:03 AM  
Blogger PS said...

Am short on time, just wated to wish you a very happy Bijoya :)

11:04 AM  
Blogger aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous マークバイマークジェイコブス said...

chmooze set. Having said that, let me say that I've only heard very good things about Doctors

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home