Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The story tag

I've been tagged by the poison pen, but I've already fulfilled part of my obligation (and rambled on some more) here. So now for the other part, the 55 word story. I wouldn't pretend that I haven't tried writing short stories before, but I'm glad I don't have access to those stories anymore, because it saved my body a few shudders. Here it is then, in all its Nelsonian glory:

She gently dipped her toe in the water. He flung his cracked beer bottle into the waves. She shot him a withering look, as he rolled on the sand, breathing the pungent reek of rotting kelp. She pursed her lips, as he rushed for the waves. And thought, by the next vacation, he’ll be domesticated.

Now who can I pass this on to? Perhaps Adagio, K, and certainly Kathryn would be up to it!

5 Comments:

Blogger Urmea said...

Nelsonian, hmmm - as in turning the blind eye?
This story isn't faintly autobiographical, no? Hmmm I likey :)

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Sanity Starved said...

Yesh, is this autobiographical :D

Good one!

8:34 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Actually Urmi, the Nelsonian allusion is for the double figures - 55 hence Nelson's numbers.

The story is autobiographical, but in a bizarre way, because it was inspired by a Puri trip many moons ago with a very prim and prissy cousin of mine, and the contrast between her gingerly embrace of the sea and that of another chaingda chhele from Cal (my uncle's words not mine) on the beach. If they had married, this is what their honeymoon would have been like :).

Pidus, explanation duly provided. You've been MIA for a while, welcome back :)!

11:41 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

BTW Pidus, I tried to go to your blog, and it seems to have been taken over by evangelists! What's the matter? Hope your blog is safe and sound somewhere.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Sanity Starved said...

:-) Thanks! Yeah, it's been a while in the trenches...

Yeah, just noticed. Hmm... I have had this problem with some other blogs too... seems to be a Blogger server thing... well!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home