Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Silly Photo Tag

I've been tagged by Urmi with the silly photo tag, and now I'm kicking myself for not buying the crap photo they took of me screaming my head off on the Jurassic rollercoaster in Universal Studios (for the record, I'm a wimp and I hate rollercoasters, and was kind of tricked into sitting in that one). I almost never dress up for Halloween, so I don't have any of those as well. So I thought long and hard, and decided to make this a silly with a twist kind of tag.

Silly as in giddy, girly, fawning and nearly squealing with joy. You see, this is how it all happened -

Place - Piazza Venezia, Rome

Time - Evening

Becks and I are on our 10 day Italian vacation, and this was our first day in Rome. We had spent all afternoon marvelling at the Colosseum and the ruins of a Roman agora near it, bought icecream and water from Bangladeshi vendors who insisted on giving us discounts, and after a crappy pizza at a tourist trap cafe, were looking forward to a great, inexpensive Italian meal.

Ambling along Via Del Corso, we reached an intersection, waiting for the lights to change, trying to drink in the surroundings like good tourists. Suddenly, there they were, visions in white, two of Italy's finest, crossing the road on the other side. In a flash of a second, Becks and I looked at each other and said in unison - "Run!"

And we did, weaving through the Vespas and honking cars, screaming "Signore, signore". They turned around to face us as we caught up with them, sheepishly sidling up saying "Can we please have a picture with you?". They smiled and agreed, and we took turns to take the pictures, and both of us came out grinning ear to ear in the photos.

Well, I decided to protect my little shred of internet anonymity and blotted out my face (so you cannot see my obvious giddy glee), but you can see what caused that silliness - presenting TM and the fine officers of the Italian Navy aka Marina Militare Italiana

Edit: On the suggestion of Tabula Rasa, I've decided to add a layer of sophistication to this image by presenting a graphic re-enactment of what my giddy smile looked like. Enjoy!!!

24 Comments:

Blogger Rimi said...

Chicken :P

I, of course, don't intend to do the tag at awl :D

3:14 AM  
Blogger Urmea said...

But but but - the main point of the silliness is the giddy expression you say - and then you hide it. Hmph! Not fair...

11:18 AM  
Blogger Twisted DNA said...

(In the voice of that annnoying phone company messages) We are sorry, this photo is not silly enough. Please try again later. 54G21.

1:07 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Rimi, Indeed at least I had the buker patha to show my poramukhi kalo mukh in this bhora shomaj. You sistaar, are still doing gorimoshi.

Urmi, Is it not enough that I put two delectable eye candies for your enjoyment. Even if my face had been there, be honest, would you have cared to look at it :)?

Twisted - what to do, I'm boring like this only.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Perspective Inc. said...

You left out the best part!
:-)

3:08 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

may i suggest drawing in two eyes and a smile, in white perhaps? because right now all we have is a photo.
sincerely,
henri.

7:19 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Perspective - the best part? I mean, yeah I was hiding a gelato somewhere ini the back. Mighty fine gelato it was.

Tabula, my dear, this is why you're a smartypants and I'm not. I shall do so right away - instant funniness.

Ooo is ze Henri?

12:09 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

MAESTRO!! :-D :-D :-D

h. cartier-bresson

(going back to look at the pic and laugh the rest of my guts out.)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Rimi said...

I love Tabula Rasa! Wotta idea wonly! Besides, I have posted. So there :P

10:57 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

arre rimidi, thanksyou!

ektu ye, arki :-)

7:14 PM  
Blogger AB said...

Lucky you! Did you have gelato?:)

12:13 AM  
Anonymous tony said...

hey swati.... this is just a friendly hi comment.. how r you doing? long time

6:26 PM  
Blogger Bonatellis said...

there's a bulb above ya head - quite symbolic :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger IndCoup said...

You slut!!!

hahaha!!!

10:40 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Tabula Rasa, oh........that Henri. Don't laugh too hard in front of a Hong Kong chef. Who knows where your guts might end up.

Rimi, I demand a smiley face on your chocolate cake.

AB, yes I did have gelato, though umm...not the Italian navy officer kind :). Becks and I were accosted by plenty of Italian men offering to "show us around", but sigh, we are oh so loyal! (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it).

Hi Tony, great to see you again! How have you been? I check your blog through Bloglines these days, so haven't actually visited in a while.

Bontellis, yes, that was my Roger Bannister moment, though the bulb didn't explode.

Indcoup, I get my slut on for only the finest baby :)!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Essar said...

lol! what on earth have you done to ur face!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Rimi said...

*Taps fingers on glass table-top*

Come now Sawti. This post has THREE comments by me. Aren't you terribly ashamed of blogging laziness? Can't you make yourself terribly ashamed?

11:03 PM  
Anonymous pegasus said...

not a bad photo..

4:33 AM  
Blogger Brazen Head said...

Hey, liked the post a lot. There is a Vegan bar cum Gelato place on a side street behind the colosseum off Via San Giovanni that totally rocks.

No comments on the men in white. Whenever I think of Italians (and I work with quite a few of them), I can never get past the way they check (or weigh) their ahem.. sensitive areas all too often.:-)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Arthur Quiller Couch said...

Tummy tuck, anyone?

11:25 PM  
Blogger vuttaa said...

the guy on the left is quite annoyed! wat da hell did ya do 2 him in the moment of silliness? LOL

but do u know dat there's a s^ware that can rip apart ur artistic blotch and restore the original to an extent? shall i ????

5:25 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Essar - I have mad photoshop skills, no :)?

Rimi - If only I could make myself ashamed of my laziness, life would be so much easier. That's oxymoronic, right?

Pegasus, thank you.

Brazen, I don't think we tried that gelateria. We did try the one next to the Trevi fountain though, with a hot and shamelessly flirting Italian man. Thankfully he didn't caress his "sensitive" areas.

Arthur, those are the sort of compliments you're paying to 'em ladies, eh? It's called puppy fat, and it's sexy - and that's my story, and I'm sticking to it (Shit, I have too many stories).

Vuttaa, I swear he's most probably trying the smouldering Italian casanova look.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Celia said...

You did a very good work with this report; you have good and interesting information about this topic. It’s really good!!!
Do you want to see something more? Look at this:
Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com

4:33 PM  
Blogger Vinod said...

Good for you. I've found that denying the roots is actually simpler. If you know of other diplobrats (not desi, please) in the Southland, please let me know.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home